I think we're missing something...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 23 10:22:13 PDT 2000

<cut>

> pains you will from Gerard's book. Gerard wrote the book for the explorers
> out here. Those that are tired of the normal everyday Linux but didn't
> know where to start in order to create their own expressions. It's a guide
> book to the starting point. The fun comes in where you go from there.

Well said, and that's what my idea behind it is. But I do agree that the
book lacks explanations. I was planning on adding it to 2.4 but I ran
out of time. Immigration sped up, got a job sooner than expected and
more of those things that took up my time, so I postponed those things
for the 2.5 development series. What is going to be added are, among
others, a dependency list what package depends on what (and where
possible why it depends on it - from that you learn a lot why you need
to have bison installed. The descriptions in the appendix isn't clear
when it comes to these things, unless you have a lot of experience and
can make a guess, but it won't be more than a guess). Also I'll start
explaining why we sometimes use alternative installation methods, like
running sed on Makefile before compiling it, why we set the CPPFLAGS
variable before running configure from time to time and more of that.

It's all on the TODO list for 2.5.

www.linuxfromscratch.org