Dependencies

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 23 13:43:33 PDT 2000

> And here's the kicker:  The bison compile fails, with an error "ld: cannot
> open -lc: no such file or directory"

-lc is your C library and expands into libc.so

what does redhat 4.2 use? libc-5.x I guess. Are there files like
/lib/libc.so ?

perhaps there are /lib/libc.so.5 - if so, make symlink from libc.so.5 to
libc.so

> By the way, is there a fairly complete package dependency list out there
> already, or should I build one as I go?

I'm working on it. A proper list is obtained by installing one package,
satisfy dependencies and then remove all installed package and start
from scratch. If you say "ok bison needs flex so install flex" and let
flex be, you might not notice a second package that needs flex too, so
after flex is installed to satisfy bison, remove flex and bison and go
on the next package. That's a time consuming process. But I'm getting
there slowly but steadily.

www.linuxfromscratch.org