I think we're missing something...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 24 06:33:07 PDT 2000

> It is really amazing ... An individual asks his peers in the mailing list for
> help... "Guys, how to set up a cron ? Which one to choose ?"
> And receives about 20 messages of utter bullshit - "what should be in the book,

Let me quote the first paragraph of the original message:

<quote>
As I have installed LFS countless times...  I've noticed that the LFS
book is missing something alomst every distribution has...  CRON?!
</quote>

And the replies from most people explained in one way or another that
cron isn't missing from the book and explains why it is missing.

Besides that there were two or three messages (including one of yours)
explaining where a cron could be found (debian site, freshmeat, others
perhaps that I can't remember)

> Does anybody remembers what the original message was about ?

See above and it has been clearly answered. And on a reply came other
replies about the philosopy of the book. Sure, it had nothing to do wtih
the original question but the original question was answered already and
I don't think it was meant as an attack to the Beau Bellamy at all.

> Gentlemen, who are you ?
> Decision makers ?
> VPs in marketing ?
> Corporate spokespersons ?
> "Certified Linux-blah,blah, Creators-blah,blah ?"
> Some other kind of the verbose nonentity ?

No, just a bunch of people who want to maintain LFS' integrity.

> Suddenly I felt like I am in the wrong company.
> Let me give you a honest advice - if you really want to please your ego, do
> something for others.

Without sounding arrogant I think that's what we have been doing.
Compare LFS-2.3.7 against LFS-1.0. I can send you a copy of it if you
wish. LFS would never be what it is right now without the help of people
on this list. So yes I believe they all have helped tremendously.
Whether it pleased their ego's or not I do not know...

> Has anybody seen "The Good, the Bad, the Ugly" ?

No, not yet. Still plan to see it. Is it any good?

www.linuxfromscratch.org