Wierd shutdown problem..

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 26 10:37:32 PDT 2000

> Ok guys here's the situation.. I set up 2.3.5 version of LFS a while ago and was using it fine until the other day when I trashed my system.  (actually, the HD died)  anyway, I reinstalled using the 2.3.7 but when I do a shutdown, either by way of CTRL-ALT-DEL or the actually shutdown command it says that it's entering run level 6, stopping and then killing processes..
>
> Which makes sense.. it gets as far as running the sendsignals script..  Now, when it proceeds it says:Please enter root password for system maintenance or press Ctrl-D to continue.. the same prompt linux has always given me if the checkfs script croaks badly..
>
> I enter the password and it drops to a prompt, I can run S90umounts and S99reboot manually and they work..  Any idea what would cause this?

I thought I already replied to it. But apparently not. Deja-vu (all over
again).

It can be that your S* scripts aren't ran at all. Try creating a new
file /etc/init.d/test containing:
#!/bin/sh
#begin test
echo "Testing 1 2 3"
#end test

and the following symlink:
	cd /etc/rc0.d
	ln -s ../init.d/test S10test
	cd ../rc6.d
	ln -s ../init.d/test S10test

Now halt or shutdown and see if it helps. If not, the rc script might be
having a problem. Try copy/pasting it again from LFS-2.3.7 but make sure
you copy/paste it from within Linux and not from within a DOS/Win9x/NT
based system. They create DOS text format files and not Linux text
format files.

www.linuxfromscratch.org