Locale-aware

Simon Perreault nomis80 at nomis80.videotron.net
Sat Aug 26 10:41:42 PDT 2000

> I was told make localdate/install-locales was needed...

Yes, it is, but it is executed by default in the glibc installation. See that
/usr/share/locale dir? It is created by the "make localdate/install-locales"
command.
The README file in the localedata dir tells us that it's an add-on package that
is enabled by using the --enable-add-ons switch.

> when would that localedef command need to be executed? What package
> provides it?

Just after the glibc installation. glibc is the package that provides it. If I
want to define my french canadian locale, I'd type "localedef -i fr_CA -f
ISO-8859-1 fr_CA". For a US english definition, I'd use "localedef -i en_US -f
ISO-8859-1 en_US".
In the book itself, I'd provide this command (for the majority of readers are
from the US), while explaining that it must be customized for different
locales.

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA