a little requiest

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 29 10:36:25 PDT 2000

> there is only one stable and one developement version. heck, it's only a
> case of correctin errors and chaingin the micro version number and postin
> it on the site - and it doesn't take all day to upload it.

True but I don't make corrections to a stable book once it has been
released. And this "unstable" term is misleading. I've been thinking if
we should keep two different book branches available.

> also, bein a software developer myself, it is hard to accept how so many
> errors can creep into the book. after all, it is a program of a kind. when i
> write a batch of code, i always read thru it to check for syntax errors.
> and after that i debug it. and there are many 'what if' situations that have
> to be anticipated and checked.

That's the problem yes. When a problem has been discovered (I do test
things and when a stable book is released it means I built a couple of
successful LFS systems with it, but there are always those people with
weird problems and I try to make the book work for them as well but
those are situations that I can't anticipate until the situation
arises...often well after a book has been released) it's fixed in the
'development' branch. So one should always download the latest
development brand. Perhaps I should change the wording and mention if
there are problems with this development branch try an older but proven
'more stable' book. I'll give that some thought.

> what's more, what about the many people who are not on these lists and
> never find out about the fixes posted here. doesn't say much for lfs then.

That's why there is a mailinglist archive that gets updated every 12
hours and a search engine will be installed later today or tomorrow,
along with a brand new website (designed by Richard Stellingwerff) and
I'll start mentioning things like the mail archives on the site and
other add-ons like lfs-hints and all that jazz.

www.linuxfromscratch.org