a little requiest

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Tue Aug 29 11:13:20 PDT 2000

> and then errors creep into 2.4.

2.4 is stable. stable as a rock, the numbers are there to prove it. Hey, Gerard,
wouldn't it be time for another survey?

> not everybody who uses lfs is on the mailin lists.

That's why there are mailing lists archive and lfs-hints. Maybe the lfs-hints
should be linked to in the "Services" section. That would be appropriate, and
people would fint them.

> there is only one stable and one developement version. heck, it's only a
> case of correctin errors and chaingin the micro version number and postin
> it on the site - and it doesn't take all day to upload it.

Do you think M$ does that with <favorite lamers' OS>? Everytime an error is
found, they'd release a service pack? They be doing that many times a day.
Granted, lfs is not windows, and it's far from having as many bugs. But it's
still too big to release a new version every time a bug is found. And anyway,
releasing a new version every time a bug is found is NOT a good thing. People
would soon get upset, seeing a new version everyday (the linux kernel gets a
lot of criticism because it updates "too often").

> it's this sort of 'elite' attitude that sends people away in droves, and
> makes
> the learnin curve for linux really steep.

"Those who think that we are elite, raise your hand!"
*raises hand*

Jokes apart, all I say is this: we simply don't have this elite attitude. A few
months ago, when I was experiencing linux (and lfs by the same way) for the
first time, I got immediate friendly answers to all my stupid newbie questions.
And alot of them were in the mailing list archive. If you have to subscribe to
the mailing list, then it means you have a new bug to report. How can you
support bugs you don't know the existence of?

Linux IS hard. Especially LFS. If you're giving it a go, it means you're
willing to invest a lot of time in this project. And that you're also expecting
bugs, and are also expecting to find a way to fix them. LFS isn't
user-oriented, it's sysadmin oriented, and student-oriented. If you want a
fast, tiny, rock stable system, and that you also want to know how everything
is arranged, then go for LFS. If you want to learn how linux works in general,
LFS is for you. If you want to use LFS for desktop work, well, it's certainly
doable (I did it) but it's a lot of work, and packages soon get all messed up
(unless you have the courage to use "--prefix=/usr/<package>"). I found my lfs
experience to be VERY (I should say ULTRA-HYPER-MEGA, but I leave that language
to ATI tech.) interesting and rewarding, and nobody showed even a hint of an
elitist attitude, except you. Strange eh?

> also, bein a software developer myself, it is hard to accept how so many
> errors can creep into the book. after all, it is a program of a kind. when i
> write a batch of code, i always read thru it to check for syntax errors.
> and after that i debug it. and there are many 'what if' situations that have
> to be anticipated and checked.

Let's make a deal: you find every error you can find in the LFS-Book. Then,
after you're finished, if you apply the same reasoning as you applied in the
previous paragraph, you should be convinced that there is no bug left. And
then, if a new bug is discovered, we'll torture you, hang you, burn you, and
then we'll install Windows on your computer (the last part was a joke).

Seriously, you can't EVER say that something is bug-free.

> what's more, what about the many people who are not on these lists and
> never find out about the fixes posted here. doesn't say much for lfs then.

Let me remind of of the archives, and of the LFS-Hint.

> but don't get me wrong. i'm not havin a go at lfs, i think it's really good
> and it's just right for me to setup my network. in the end i hope to get
> all machines on linux includin my sparc elc.

Yay!

> so i hope this isn't taken as a criticism, but as a requiest to make lfs
> more
> stable.

It is. And if it's not enough for you, that means you have bugs, right? So you
gotta fix those bugs. (...and then tell us about it :)

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA