more on required packages

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 30 16:27:23 PDT 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, you wrote:

> > I want to be able to separate out "required" from "optional" packages so
> that I can install an LFS system that is as small and tight as is humanly
> possible, both for my firewall and my (newly found) laptop.
>
> Anybody have any ideas what packages can be done without in the final
> product without negatively impacting the usability of the system once you
> actually start using it?

Yes you can keep using the static one.

It's hard to tell which package you can do without, it all depends on your
needs. I could say you can do without Perl, but if you do need autoconf you
are going to need perl since autoconf and it's companion automake are Perl
scripts.

> Gerard, I believe you were working on documenting all of the package
> dependencies.  Any chance you can share what you have so far?  Any
> suggestions on how I can help you to figure what you don't already have?

I don't have anything written down. I was planning on doing so but then all
kinds of things started coming in between and I have not had a chance of
starting that little venture. I'll start on it when the 2.5.x dev. series
start. I'll just start and make them available as I go. So 2.5.1 will have a
few but not all of them.

www.linuxfromscratch.org