Required/Recommended/Optional packages

John Arrowwood John.Arrowwood at merant.com
Wed Aug 30 18:53:55 PDT 2000

Just looking through the package descriptions in the appendix, I made this
initial division of the packages.  I am presenting it for feedback (such as
"What do you mean, OPTIONAL" . . . or . . . "It's not recommended, it's
REQUIRED")

This division refers to the final system, and not the installation
process...

REQUIRED: (needed for the system to boot and maintain itself)
  bash
  bootloader (lilo, or other)
  compiled kernel image
  console-data
  console-tools
  e2fsprogs
  fileutils
  glibc (dynamically linked)
  makedev
  modutils
  shadow password suite
  shellutils
  sysklogd
  sysvinit
  util-linux

RECOMMENDED: (You can get by without it... let me know what stuff here is
actually required)
  bzip2
  ed
  findutils
  grep
  gzip
  ncurses
  netkit-base
  net-tools
  perl
  procps
  psmisc
  sed
  tar
  textutils
  vim
  vim-rt

OPTIONAL: (Stuff needed only to compile other stuff and the likes, or just
stuff you can do without)
  autoconf
  automake
  bash-doc