mail archives slow

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Fri Dec 1 02:27:38 PST 2000

+-Gerard Beekmans-(gerard at linuxfromscratch.org)-[30.11.00 18:46]:
> On November 30, 2000 12:23 pm, you wrote:
> One reason being: the archives online are html versions which are created
> from the mbox files. Why the online archives aren't in synch with the list
> itself is because it takes quite a while to process the mbox file and make up
> the html versions. Especially with the amount of mail that flows over the
> lists I don't want to update the mail archives every hour or even quicker. It
> used to be twice a day but I've changed it to once a day. It takes about 1.5
> to 2 hours to recreate the search engine's database and create the online
> mail archives. The mail archives itself don't take long (15 minutes or
> something) but if the mail archives are newer than the search engine database
> things are out of sync there. I want those two to be in sync  with eachother.
>
> Yes I am looking for better ways of doing it. So if you have suggestions for
> a better search engine (i'm using htdig for that) and online mailinglists
> (i'm using hypermail for that) please do give them. I'm not happy with a 2
> hour process of creating the archives and database but i haven't found
> software that's better.

I am not sure which SW I used some time ago to create a html-version of
my mboxes, but I remember that it was easy to hcreate an alias and pipe
new messages immediately to the mail2html-program.

You can still update the search-engine once a day then.

BTW - what about making htdig search only the mail-lists (and not the
whole site?)  - perhaps as an additional feature. I always wondered why
I got HOWTOs for this and that while searching the archive...

     Balu

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org