LFS editor of choice - cautionary tale!

James Green jim at vardus.net
Fri Dec 1 03:14:51 PST 2000

Hi,
Something that I am suprised has not been mentioned in this whole debate
over editors is *where* the editor is installed. Perhaps this only really
applies if you install in different partitions, e.g. / hda2,  /usr hda3,
etc. However, the first time I installed LFS across partitions was back in
the day when I though emacs was worth the rescources it uses. I had
installed it in the place of vim in the book and everything was fine...
until I needed to drop down to run level 1... Of  course emacs was installed
in /usr and I had not bothered installing vi so I was in runlevel 1 without
an editor. Did I feel silly? I think so!

I guess the moral of the story is to have some sort of editor in /bin for
such occasions - clearly full blown emacs and the like is not sutable for
this, although ce (Chet's emacs) does the job nicely, so from personal
expernce I do recommned you have vi (or something) installed in /bin -
because some day, when your boss is screaming at you to get that server up
again, you just might wish you had!

just my 2pence,

James

P.S. To those no vi-ers, It really aint that bad to learn or use - and who
knows when you might have to get someones shonkOS^H^H^H^H^HSunOS box back up
again! (or your own for that matter!)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org