LFS editor of choice should be vi

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 1 04:28:13 PST 2000

On December  1, 2000 12:21 am, you wrote:
> Yo,
>
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:05:52AM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Speaking about the time the book installs vim. Why is it not installed
> > during the static build part so that people will have an editor already
> > when they enter chroot? Same goes for less. I know that those 2 are
> > installed close to the beginning of chroot but close is not close enough
> > (especially if you run into problems compiling one of the early
> > packages). I felt the need to edit and view files from the first second
> > of being in chroot, so that I could view Makefiles and create install
> > scripts for the packages.
>
> You can always use our editor outside of chroot, it's the easist thing
> todo, imho

My choice too. Reason being I like to keep the static binaries to a minimum.
More important the libraries that are installed (libncurses in this case).
Sure we could reinstall ncurses inside chroot but that's why we came up with
chroot instead of rebooting. If you need to edit something, a new xterm or
new virtual console is only a few keystrokes or mouse clicks away.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org