lfs-2.4.3 - glibc installing

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 1 04:32:32 PST 2000

On December  1, 2000 04:11 am, you wrote:
> Hi!
> I have successed installing lfs-2.4.3 based from lfs-2.2.
> I use three newer packages than the original lfs book does.
> They are binutils-2.10.1, ncurses-5.2 and bin86-0.15.4.
> The system is working fine so far, I have test it by compiling the kernel
> on it. It was a great experience, compare to the lfs-2.2, it's much much
> easy and quick to do, I got the system works just in two days.
> Thanks to all lfs people especially to the author.
> I have two things that I want to share to you :
> 1. On installing glibc packages part, I add 'i486-pc-linux-gnu' to
> ./configure command. I did it because I have two pc, one is i686 and the
> other is i486. Unless I did it, I won't get my lfs system running on my
> i486 pc. I used i686 pc to install lfs. Consider this can be included in

The book doesn't handle cross-compiling (well what you did is not technically
cross-compiling but it's a lil brother of it). It's beyond the scope of the
book.

> the book. 2. Above I say it's much easy and quick to install the lfs
> system, one of the factor is I found a way to do it with more fun.
>    In fact during installing process, I almost not typing the commands at
> all. This is how I did, first I got the mouse up (using gpm), then I opened
> html version of lfs book with links (my favorite browser), next I login to
> another terminal. When I needed to type the commands in the book, I
> switched to the terminal that running the browser, I block the commands
> with mouse and switch back to the terminal with a bash prompt, then I paste
> the commands by clicking the middle button of my mouse and press return.
>    That's just I needed to do.

That's how most of us do it ;) The first time you might like typing in all
the commands. But after a few dozen/hundred times it gets tedious and you
just copy/paste ;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org