LFS editor of choice should be vi

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 1 04:46:30 PST 2000

> If you're talking about fair, it's all of them or none. I'd suggest one of
> the following options:

Then I guess LFS-BOOK isn't going to fair. I'm not going to include all
editors in the book itself. I'm not going include no editors in the book
either. I'm choosing one editor and that's vim.

> c) Although I don't really like this because it's not fair, I could live
> with a compromise. That would be to include vim as a representative of,
> well, the vi-class of editors, and one additional editor that represents
> the large class of "normal" editors, i.e. an editor that normal people can
> use intuitively. That could be joe or pico or nano or ... . I think emacs

I like to think I'm a normal person. I use vim. I don't think me using vim
makes me weird. Since day one I used Linux I used vim. At first it was hard
to use but I got used to it. I tried pico the other day. It was weird to me.
I am used to vim. I coudln't work properly with pico so I quickly installed
vim on that machine.

My point is: I could have taken the time to learn to work with pico. Pico
felt to me like vim felt to me day one I started Linux. Because somebody is
not happy with vim and very happy with a different editor, the opposite is
very likely to exist as well: somebody who is very happy with vim and can't
for the life of him figure out a different editor. And why would he? You have
the choice to use what you want.

I'm going to throw in my final $0.02 on this editor thing: I'd like to end it
right here right now. Like somebody put it very nicely the other day: You can
either please most of the people, or you can please few people, but never all
of them. So I'm pleasing whomever I'm pleasing with keeping vim in the book
and providing alternatives through lfs-hints. That specific editor hint will
be mentioned before you start installing Vim, so don't worry about that.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org