LFS editor of choice should be vi

jerry jdinardo at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 1 06:05:15 PST 2000

I first learned vi in 1985 and I hated it. In the intervening 15 years I have
never learned to like it. I did not like emacs either so I wrote my own editor
which I have ported linux and use almost exclusively.

HOWEVER , vi is part of what makes unix unix. (I consider linux to be unix).
It is part of the least common denominator of all linux/unix systems. I think
it would be a terrible thing for it not to be part of LFS.

LFS is about choice but more importantly it is about learning. I have worked
on many systems where vi and ed were the only editors on the system and I
would have been lost if not for my limited knowledge of vi.

I am writing this from mutt where I have left vi the default editor just
to keep myself familiar with vi.

Jerry Dinardo