Error running /Sbin.lilo

Tijmen Stam tijmen at stamadvies.nl
Fri Dec 1 07:20:48 PST 2000

Noel Lagas wrote:

> Fatal: Not a number: "/dev/hdc3"
>
> I checked my /etc/lilo.conf, it almost like the exact copy as listed in the
> book. Anyway, here is how my /etc/lilo.conf copy looked like:
>
> image=/boot/lsfkernel
>         label=lfs
>         root=/dev/hdc3
>         readonly
>
> I need some help to fix this and continue. TIA

try replacing readonly with read-only (with a dash)

But that shouldn't give you a not a number error...

OKay... At first: is this your *whole* lilo.conf? if so, you haven't read the book
right... Anyway, copy the lilo.conf from your OLD system to your LFS system, and *add*
(not replace) the lines you wrote above, *below* the first entry.
(all thing marked with ** are important...)

If it still doesn't work:
- is your kernel /boot/lfskernel? (try cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
/boot/lfskernel)
- is yhe LFS partition really /dev/hdc3?
- RTFM (man lilo / man lilo.conf)
(sorry if i'm asking stupid questions, but you sound like a newbie, that's not meant
negative)

what does TIA mean?

> Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

Don't let Microsoft get any more from you... Stop using hotmail

Tijmen

--
>From Tijmen Stam - "I believe in Linux" - tijmen at stamadvies.nl
POVray page http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/somepage/ Last update: 2000-11-23
count linux @ counter.li.org reg#178552, Machine#78930 & #78931

Everyone calling himself a linux master should have completely read the Bash
man page and all kernel documentation, as a test to prove himself and to free
some bandwith on comp.os.linux.* ( Honestly, I haven't done this all yet )-: