Error running /Sbin.lilo

Daniel Davis daniel at bryantdesign.com
Fri Dec 1 07:28:24 PST 2000

TIA is probably "Thanks in advance"

Daniel Davis
Web Developer
Bryant Design
daniel at bryantdesign.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tijmen Stam
  To: lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
  Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 10:20 AM
  Subject: Re: Error running /Sbin.lilo

  Noel Lagas wrote:
    Fatal: Not a number: "/dev/hdc3"
    I checked my /etc/lilo.conf, it almost like the exact copy as listed in the
    book. Anyway, here is how my /etc/lilo.conf copy looked like:

    image=/boot/lsfkernel
            label=lfs
            root=/dev/hdc3
            readonly

    I need some help to fix this and continue. TIA

  try replacing readonly with read-only (with a dash)

  But that shouldn't give you a not a number error...

  OKay... At first: is this your *whole* lilo.conf? if so, you haven't read the book right... Anyway, copy the lilo.conf from your OLD system to your LFS system, and *add* (not replace) the lines you wrote above, *below* the first entry.
  (all thing marked with ** are important...)

  If it still doesn't work:
  - is your kernel /boot/lfskernel? (try cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/lfskernel)
  - is yhe LFS partition really /dev/hdc3?
  - RTFM (man lilo / man lilo.conf)
  (sorry if i'm asking stupid questions, but you sound like a newbie, that's not meant negative)

  what does TIA mean?

  Don't let Microsoft get any more from you... Stop using hotmail
  Tijmen

--
>From Tijmen Stam - "I believe in Linux" - tijmen at stamadvies.nl
POVray page http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/somepage/ Last update: 2000-11-23
count linux @ counter.li.org reg#178552, Machine#78930 & #78931

Everyone calling himself a linux master should have completely read the Bash
man page and all kernel documentation, as a test to prove himself and to free
some bandwith on comp.os.linux.* ( Honestly, I haven't done this all yet )-: