LFS editor of choice should be vi

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 1 15:32:43 PST 2000

> > > I'm sure it's the *least* widely used editor. If I walk into the computer
> SNIP
>
> Over the past twenty years, I've noticed that most,
> if not all, emacs users drop back to vi when in a

Drop back? You assume that everybody has started with vi. Maybe 10 years
ago it was like that. But the students at our CS department (and the
physics dept.) today haven't even heard of vi. It's not even in the
editors submenu of the default KDE desktop. It's never mentioned by the
guys who are responsible for the exercises. I've been studying CS for 3
years now and no one has ever mentioned vi around me. I heard about vi
somewhere on the Net, I think. I've never actually seen someone use it.
Maybe things are different where you live, but at my University, vi is
clearly dying out. The new generation of Unix users don't get introduced
to vi. They start out with kedit and go to emacs once they start
programming.

MSB

----
God is real, unless declared integer.