dynamically generated book

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 1 15:32:43 PST 2000

> The main reason I started LFS was to learn Linux system basics. I was
> trying to learn how to use Red Hat but kept getting confused when I read
> various HOWTOs because files where not where the HOWTOs said they should
> be. I still get headaches from trying to use the rpm utility.

rpm always scared me. It's one of the things that drove me to LFS. I got
the impression that I could only upgrade my system with packages approved
by my distribution maintainer, which is a situation worse than that on
Windows. I never felt at ease with installing non-rpms, not to speak of
rpms packaged for other distributions. I'm very glad that LFS allows me to
live on a tarball-only diet.

There is a
> perl software package I want to use that requires perl 5.6. I can't get
> perl 5.6 into my RH6.2 install (without have two interpreters). I bought a
> 5.2 package over a year ago when I first started toying with the idea of
> getting away from Microsoft. It got installed as a dual boot but didn't get
> used because I didn't know what to do with the command line prompt.

That's where LUGs come in (or at least friends who know Unix). I had a
friend of mine introduce me to the Unix basics when I entered university
and I don't think I could have done without that. I have to add that the
same applies to Windows. You can't just grab someone off the street and
put him before a Windows box. My mother is not even able to create and
edit a simple text file under Windows even though she's been working with
computers for about 10 years now (she uses DOS). So much about
intuitiveness of operating systems.

> Though
> RH7.0 has perl 5.6 I don't want to buy it. If I have to buy a new version
> of Red Hat every six months to get stuff I want it will cost more and cause
> more disruption to my system than buying the obligatory Microsoft Upgrade.

I had the same impression. Another reason why I'm building an LFS system
now.

MSB

----
An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears that this is true.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org