LFS editor of choice should be vi

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 1 16:15:44 PST 2000

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:05:52AM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Speaking about the time the book installs vim. Why is it not installed
> > during the static build part so that people will have an editor already
> > when they enter chroot? Same goes for less. I know that those 2 are
> > installed close to the beginning of chroot but close is not close enough
> > (especially if you run into problems compiling one of the early packages).
> > I felt the need to edit and view files from the first second of being in
> > chroot, so that I could view Makefiles and create install scripts for the
> > packages.
>
> You can always use our editor outside of chroot, it's the easist thing
> todo, imho

Easy? First I have to switch to a different xterm. The I have to navigate
to the approprite location or enter a full path, taking care to append
$LFS/ at the beginning (which I constantly forget when coming from
chroot). And of course I have to do that as root because of permissions,
which makes me feel very uneasy because I could screw up my base system if
I confused the chroot and the non-chroot xterms (as I've mentioned
elsewhere, prompts don't help me much).

MSB

----
I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org