LFS editor of choice should be vi

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 1 16:15:44 PST 2000

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:57:11PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > > Certainly vi is the most widely used text editor
> >
> > I'm sure it's the *least* widely used editor. If I walk into the computer
> > rooms at university I see people using either emacs (my guess on the most
> > widely used editor) or kedit, sometimes pico (mostly within pine) or joe
> > and sometimes nedit, but I've never ever seen someone use vi. Vi is only
> > used by some old-school Unix freaks.
>
> oh, now, that's not true!
>
> my colleagues and i use it for our daily programming and
> regular work! especially when you are doing a lot of remote
> administration, vi (vim) is the editor of your choice!

May I ask when you started with Unix? If the answer lies 10 years back,
you *are* an old-schooler. Of course I should have added
"and their apprentices" to account for the people who are not old-
schoolers themselves but have (had) an old-school mentor.
I'm sure you and your colleagues fall either in the old-school mentor or
apprentice category unlike the masses of new *nix end users who didn't
even exist a few years back when *nix was only used by a few highly
specialized individuals. The new *nix users, the people that populate the
newbie newsgroups are more like Windows users (many of them *are*). They
are the people who made Redhat and SuSE as successful as they are now.
They are the driving force behind current *nix developments like KDE and
GNOME. It's the Windows generation of Unix users. Whether you like it or
not, they will take over (they probably have already, when looking just at
numbers) the *nix scene. Vi is not part of the average KDE desktop and
nowadays this is almost the same as vi not being part of Unix. The same
applies to joe and pico, of course, even though those could at least be
used without effort by someone who's grown up with kedit.

MSB

----

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org