LFS editor of choice should be vi

eriddle at linuxcare.com eriddle at linuxcare.com
Fri Dec 1 17:19:43 PST 2000

Quoting Matthias Benkmann on Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 01:26:03AM +0100 :
> > Why does it bother me that CS students are not introduced to the
> > Command Line (where kedit does not exist)?
>
> I don't know. A computer scientist doesn't need a command line. And the
> vast majority of professionals, computer scientists or not, earning their
> money with information technology don't need a command line, either as
> they're working on Windows or Mac.

True.

Personally, I think it is all about the mouse.  Once you master vi...

Well.  I used to play Doom.  I got really good at it.  So good that I
never lost in death match play.  I got fragged, but, I always more than
doubled everyone elses kills.  The only people that came close were
those that did not use a mouse or joystick and only used the keyboard.

Once you master vim, you can accomplish a lot more and faster than any
mouse driven program.  It is all about keystrokes and the time it takes
to go from mouse to keyboard.  In fact, QWERTY keystrokes in vi are
very much optimised to allow you to accomplish more by moving less.

Sometimes it just takes watching a master do his stuff in vi to convert
you.  It is amazing.  I think a lot of die-hard vim users have seen
this at one time or another.  At least for me, it was the only thing
that inspired me to take the time to learn vi.  Now I use it for
my command line interface, email editor, as well as everything else.
Mutt uses the vi keystrokes by default, as does less.

But then, I don't use KDE or GNOME either :-)

The shell option I use is set in my .bash_profile:
set -o vi
bind C-l:clear-screen

After doing this, there was again a learning curve.
One day I accidently discovered an interesting feature.  I hit <Esc>
and that put me in command mode, then v.  Makes one-time shell scripting
at the command line very cool.  Check it out if you have the time.

Anyway, enough of that discussion for me.  To each his own.

Cheers, and don't forget to have fun,
Ed

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org