LFS editor of choice should be vi

tristan twem2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 2 06:37:56 PST 2000

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Matthias Benkmann wrote:

> > Why does it bother me that CS students are not introduced to the
> > Command Line (where kedit does not exist)?
>
> I don't know. A computer scientist doesn't need a command line. And the
> vast majority of professionals, computer scientists or not, earning their
> money with information technology don't need a command line, either as
> they're working on Windows or Mac.

I don't agree. One of the reasons i like Unix is the command line, it
enables me to do things much quicker than using a graphical interface. But
then perhaps I'm strange, I don't use Gnome or KDE and I started to use vi
when I first ventured into the linux world [1] (just over a year ago
now). Admittedly there are some functions which I miss from !StrongEd or
!Zap (the two programmers editors I used under RISC OS) but it serves me
very well.
I presume that compsci's here in cambridge learn to use the command line
as they all get accounts on Thor which I think is telnet/ssh access only.

enough of that and back to lurking now

*hugs*
tristan

[1] I did try emacs and found it too big and complex to learn easily. I
will try it again when I have finally built my LFS system.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org