/etc/init.d/ethnet

Jean-François Le Ray jfleray at club-internet.fr
Sun Dec 3 01:50:40 PST 2000

Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> Yeah, I was in #lfs earlier when we were discussing this. For those who don't
> know what they're doing in the init scripts, this is a vital feature. If they
> don't have it there, they might not be able to get their net connection going,
> and come whining to the mailing lists, bringing unwanted simple questions that
> shouldn't be asked in the first place.
>
> -Soren Jacobsen-

Are you sure it's necessary in all the cases? My bootscripts don't contain
any reference to "route", and the ethernet interface is perfectly usable.

The output of the command "/sbin/route" is :

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
hipDb.grolier.f *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
localnet        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 eth0
loopback        localhost       255.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 lo
default         hipDb.grolier.f 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

Where you see that the default route has been added by ppp.
Do you know when setting a default route through eth0 is mandatory ?

		J-F

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org