LFS editor of choice should be vi

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Sun Dec 3 12:57:13 PST 2000

On Sunday 26 November 2000 12:01, you wrote:
> > > <....> Vi is only
> > > used by some old-school Unix freaks.
> >
> > Thank you! I treasure this. I escaped mswin to linux in the fall of '98.
> > To be called "old-school Unix" so soon is complement indeed.
>
> one thing i haven't sussed out yet, is how the alt - is it meta? - key
> works cos, emacs won't let me get to the menus usin the keyboard. well at
> least alt-f or ctrl-f wont get the file menu.

the alt key is not by default the meta-key, although you can tell emacs to
map it that way. On a default PC-keyboard the Meta-key is the ESCAPE key.
The menues in (X)Emacs are not supposed to be used in that way. they won't
"pop-up" by pressing any key. instead you have key stroke combinations which
let you do things directly (for Example: Ctrl-x f opens a file). The xemacs
comes with a nice 6 page reference card in ps, which is quite helpful in the
begining, until you know the keystrokes by heart (Well the important ones.)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org