Moved ... Oops :(

Rich Rudnick nickrud at citlink.net
Sun Dec 3 21:20:26 PST 2000

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:30:05PM -0500, jeisen at mindspring.com wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2000 17:40, you wrote:
> > Just announced that I had LFS functional and
> > guess what?  I rid myself of MS Windows and
> > rearranged my disk space.  (See below for changes)
> >
> > Now when I try to boot (any level) into LFS I am told that
> > the initial console cannot be started.  Then it says
> > "Init not found."
> >
> > I've gone through every file (fstab, lilo.conf, etc)
> > that I can think of, but all appear correct for
> > the present configuration.
> >
> > My question is, what else would be affected by the
> > move?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help,
> >
> > John
>
> Just a guess -- I really have no idea, but here goes...

It means _exactly_ what it says.  The program /sbin/init, the one
that the kernel hands off to during the computer startup, could
not be found.  Most likely, you no longer have a copy of LFS
on the partition it's looking for, the one you told it about
in lilo.conf.  Try running lilo again; if you have updated the
partition info, it should work.

I found this out by doing an lfs install, supposedly onto a new
partition but actually onto the underlying directory (/mnt/lfs).
Tore a lot of hair over that one; gave up, found that perfectly
fine lfs installation a week later.

--
Rich Rudnick

nickrud at citlink.net