lfs-2.4.3 - glibc installing

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 4 13:15:45 PST 2000

On December  1, 2000 07:51 pm, you wrote:
> >  The first time you might like typing in all
> > the commands. But after a few dozen/hundred times it gets tedious and you
> > just copy/paste ;)
>
> I doubt that many people install an LFS system more than once. Why would
> I? As an LFS system is source based, it's easily upgraded until the end of
> time. I doubt I'll ever install another LFS system once I get mine
> working. I might *copy* it to a different machine or harddisk, but I won't
> go through the actual installation again.

I have reinstalled my own LFS system more than once. After a while you're
very outdated (well if you had a 1.x system you ran gcc-2.7.2.3, glibc-2.0.7,
kernel 2.2.10 or something old and a lot more other old stuff). To start with
the glibc upgrade makes you reinstall your entire system, just to be safe (a
lot of software doesn't run well when it's compiled against glibc-2.0 but
runs on glibc-2.1). Also, after a while if you haven't upgraded a system
regularly it's just easier to start all over again, fresh for different
reasosn.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org