Shutdown problem - solved it

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 4 13:28:03 PST 2000

On December  3, 2000 04:03 pm, you wrote:
> After spending a good part of Saturday reading man pages and these
> archives, I determined that the following lines in /etc/inittab were
> responsible for my shutdown problem. These lines are inlcuded in the LFS
> book section on creating the /etc/inittab file, so others might run into
> the same problem. These are the lines I removed ....
>
> f1:0:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
> f2:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

they are fallthroughs. They should not be reached, unless your rc script
isn't working properly. What happens is this:
you change to run level 0 or 6. init will first run "rc 0" (or rc 6) which
runs the scripts in /etc/rc0.d or /etc/rc6.d. The last script in those
directories are either S99halt or S99reboot. If they are called your system
is halted or rebooted immediately (after unmounting the file systems of
course) by passing any other lines in inittab. Now what happens when the last
script is rc0.d or rc6.d is called but the system is still responsive (ie:
not rebooting or halting)? init scans /etc/inittab for something to do in run
level 0 or 6, which are the f1 and f2 lines (fallthrough 1 and fallthrough 2)
calling sulogin so you can do a manual reboot or halt because the halt or
reboot script didn't run.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org