mail archives slow

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 4 16:22:18 PST 2000

On December  4, 2000 06:24 pm, you wrote:
> > As you see there are quit a few options. Give me some time please. I do
> > need time to implement this but I'll try my best to accomodate your and
> > other people's needs.
>
> If it's not in sync with the list, don't bother. The current HTML serves
> that need. l still wonder what's so hard about extracting the plain text
> of a mail message and concatenating it with a plain text archive file
> whenever a new mail arrives, probably deleting lines at the other end (to
> get a sliding window). That file could be ftp'd to the appropriate server
> every 15 minutes. Sounds like something an ordinary shell script could do.
> sed to kill the mail headers, cat for the concatenating and tail to do the
> sliding window stuff. Something like that.

Like I said, the digest does that. I can even grant apache access to read the
digest file itself so it'll be up-to-date always. Here's an example digest
excerpt:

http://www2.linuxfromscratch.org/digest.72.work

I think that's what you mean by your text file and that's what I had in mind
all along as well. Of course you loose all threading but you knew about that
already. It won't be hard to setup the proper interface so everybody can get
those files. I'll get to this tomorrow as I don't have the time today anymore.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org