boot problems...proc?

Davin Carlson davin at bethlehembooks.com
Tue Dec 5 15:09:50 PST 2000

Well, I finally got off my lazy rear end and started tracing where in
the boot process I was getting stuck. From my boot messages it was
apparent (after digging around a bit :^) that I wasn't getting past the
call to /etc/rcS.d in the inittab file. I listed the contents of rcS.d
in long form and found a broken symlink: S10mountfs was linked to
...init.d/mountfs not ../init.d/mountfs (it's amazing how important a
little forward slash is). The thing that attracted my notice was that
the other symlinks were green but the one for S10mountfs was gray. Now
it boots up correctly. I wonder what other havoc is yet to be unleashed
as a result of my typos . . . Oh well, I set out to build LFS partly to
learn how a Linux box functions (The other reason is that I like to know
exactly what's running on my machine ;^). There's nothing like
unraveling mistakes to really start learning something.

The solution to my problem is almost certainly similar to the fellow
(StrandedInLodi) who originally posted a problem with this. Either a
typo or a symlink to a non-existent file.

Thanks to all for your prompt responses.

Davin

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org