Directory permissions

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 03:14:55 PST 2000

Misquoted from Ghovs on Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:55:06AM +0000:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2000 08:49, you wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm reading Linux From Scratch and I'm currently reading "Creating
> > Directories" in Chapter 4.
> > The author says that he didn't know if one should change the dir
> > permissions of other dirs than root and tmp.
> >
> > Anyone know whether I should change directory permissions for other
> > folders? If you know could you tell me what number I should use with chmod?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Shlok Smri Datye
> > http://shlok.ript.net/
>
> To the best of my knowledge, none of the directories mentioned in the LFS
> book need further adjustments in order for the system to work properly in the
> end.

If you leave you linux kernel header files with the default owner or group,
and someone malicious has access to that owner or group, they can insert a
trojan into anything that is later compiled with those headers. The same
sort of problem can occure with qt.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org