bootscripts?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 6 13:59:41 PST 2000

On December  6, 2000 04:49 pm, you wrote:
> I'm totally puzzled about the LFS bootscripts. Could someone briefly
> explain to me what the different runlevels are used for. The setup seems
> pretty different from my SuSE system.
> I've never actually dealt with sysvinit boot scripts before so excuse me
> if I'm completely off track here but it seems that only the single user
> run level does something useful. And runlevel 6 (isn't that one normally
> used for X?) as well as runlevel 0 shut down.
> Now which scripts are actually started when an LFS system boots up.
> And which are started when I do "telinit x" ?

runlevel 6 is to reboot
runlevel 0 is to halt
runlevel 1 is single-user
runlevel 2-5 are user defined. Per convention run level 2 is multi-user
without networking, level 3 is multi-user with networking, 4 is whatever you
want to use it for and level 5 is often used for X

Please read the init man page; it explains fairly well how the booting
process works. LFS-2.4.4 will have a description on how the booting works too

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org