boot disk problem

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Wed Dec 6 14:22:17 PST 2000

At 04:14 PM 12/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Yo,
>
>On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:57:59PM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> > linear
> > lba32

Is this "lba32" in the RTFM somewhere?

I don't think the problem is the BIOS. I have a Fujitsu as the master with
a Maxtor as the slave. They don't want to play nice together.

>id' try this first, using a bootdisk is always a hack ;)
>
> > From: "ken_i_m" <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com>
> > > the down box. This results in the box being unable to find the bootstrap
> > > loader.
> > > Either I am way down a dead-end road or I am close. One thing I am
> sure is
> > > that there has got to be an easier way. At any rate, my hair loss has
> > > experienced a huge surge this morning. Please help ken prevent hair loss.
>
>mke2fs /dev/fd0
>mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>cd /mnt/floppy
>cat >lilo.conf<< "EOF"
>boot=/dev/fd0
>prompt
>timeout=1200
>
>image=/boot/<your kernel image name>
>     root=/dev/<your root partition>
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>EOF
>lilo -C /mnt/floppy/lilo.conf

complains that /boot/boot.b file not found
ln -s /mnt/boot/boot.b /boot/boot.b # create a symlink to file on hda2
lilo -C /mnt/floppy/lilo.conf
First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org