0>&1

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Dec 7 10:45:56 PST 2000

On Wednesday 06 December 2000 17:10, Matthias Benkmann wrote:

> > > What does the 0>&1 in the stty line in the rc script mean?

> > I have wondered that myself as well quite a while. I've tried to find
> > out the meaning of this (it's not a typo unless the original author
> > made this typo when he sent me this script) but have been
> > unsuccessful. Also I don't think that stty line is necesarry and I'm
> > thinking about removing it all together
>
> Passing on weird legacy from generation to generation seems to be part
> of the Unix experience :-)

I was mucking around in the init scripts that I have saved from various
distros and saw this in the Caldera /etc/rc.d/rc script:
<quote>
# Set onlcr to avoid staircase effect.
stty onlcr 0>&1
</quote>

Weird... It's beyond me, but maybe the above quote will give hint what
it's for. :)

> Objectivity is just collective subjectivity.

Oh the great ponderables... Interesting idea. ;-/
--
Regards,
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org