0>&1

jerry jdinardo at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 7 14:08:31 PST 2000

My original message seemed really unclear when I read it ( after I had sent it
) so I will try again.

0>&1 tells bash to duplicate stdout's file descriptor and use it for stdins's
file descriptor.

Now stty ocrnl will cause output newlines (0x0a) to be converted to
0x0d0a (cr lf). It does this by updateing the termios structure for your
stdout with the ocrnl flag.

I do not know what the reason is for ensuring that only the stdout termios
structure is updated.

jpd