Why boot scripts in /etc

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 8 02:04:36 PST 2000

> someone to want this. Isn´t sysv-init-style something like a standard?
> Just curious.

Kind of, although I'd say Linux's "natural" init would be simpleinit as it
is part of the util-LINUX package, whereas sysvinit is just inherited from
ancient System V. It is to hope that the new simpleinit (as of util-linux-
2.10q) will replace sysvinit in a lot of places. It has been extended with
the ability to "execute" whole directories of boot scripts and includes a
real dependency scheme, whereas sysvinit just has those sequence numbers.
Simpleinit also keeps track of started services by itself so that the
command

need -r runlevel.3

could be used to go from runlevel 5 to runlevel 2. Simpleinit would
automatically call the scripts for runlevels 3 and up with the "stop"
parameter in reverse order in which they were started. No need for
complicated rc scripts and most of all, no need for K* and S* symlinks.

You can read more about the new simpleinit at

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/boot-scripts/index.html

He has definitely convince me to dump sysvinit and build my LFS system
with simpleinit.

MSB

----
Who is this General Failure,