Why boot scripts in /etc

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 8 02:04:36 PST 2000

> The usual place is /etc unless you're using an oddball or antiquated version of unix. What system
> are you referring to when you say "usual place"? It's /etc on linux,

That should have been "natural" instead of "usual". There is no usual
place for the boot scripts, it seems. SuSE uses /sbin/init.d, Halloween
uses /etc/rc.d/init.d and LFS uses /etc/init.d.

Anyway, I think that /sbin would be the *natural* choice because scripts
are executables and executables don't go into /etc.

MSB

----
I am Pentium of Borg. Precision is futile.
Prepare to be approximated!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org