Why boot scripts in /etc

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 8 02:04:37 PST 2000

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:19:44AM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > p.s.: Yes, yes, yes. I know I can put them anywhere I want and I will put
> > them in /sbin (besides, I use simpleinit anyway). I just like to know
> > what's the rationale behind the choice to put them in /etc.
> >

> They are used to *configure* your system.

But you can and sometimes do start them by hand unlike /etc/inittab for
instance. The files really used for configuring the system are the K*, S*
symlinks. So it would make sense to keep the actual scripts in /sbin and
the rc.?/ with the symlinks in /etc
Maybe that's why SuSE, while keeping stuff in /sbin/init.d, also has a
symlink /etc/rc.d -> /sbin/init.d

MSB

----
An army of sheep led by a lion