Why boot scripts in /etc

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 8 02:24:36 PST 2000

> Yo,
>
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:19:44AM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Why are the LFS boot scripts in /etc when the usual place seems to be
> > /sbin. After all, they're executables.
>
> sbin = System Binaries.
>
> A script that has executable permissions is not a binary,

That's a weak argument. Several system commands are only scripts, nohup
being one of the more important ones, and those are also kept in /usr/BIN
not /usr/SCRIPT. And i'm sure that on every normal Linux distro you'll
find at least on script in /sbin.
BTW, I'd like to know how exactly you define "binary". Is a Java class in
bytecode a "binary"? And what about a bash script with lots of German
umlauts (i.e. characters >128) in comments? And what if I use a C program
to start/stop a certain service. There's nothing preventing me from
writing a C program that does exactly the same as the "rc" script. Would
you still put that in /etc?
And how about if I use gzipped init scripts? I'm sure it would be easy to
extend bash to support that like less and others support gzip compression
transparently. Aren't gzipped files binaries?

I think that it's the executable character that constitutes a "binary",
not the representation as non-ASCII text.

Besides, "binary" in the literal sense refers to every file on a hard
disk.

MSB

----
This sentence no verb.