Why boot scripts in /etc

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Dec 8 10:44:04 PST 2000

Yo,

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 11:24:36AM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> That's a weak argument. Several system commands are only scripts, nohup
> being one of the more important ones, and those are also kept in /usr/BIN
> not /usr/SCRIPT. And i'm sure that on every normal Linux distro you'll
> find at least on script in /sbin.
> BTW, I'd like to know how exactly you define "binary". Is a Java class in
> bytecode a "binary"? And what about a bash script with lots of German
> umlauts (i.e. characters >128) in comments? And what if I use a C program
> to start/stop a certain service. There's nothing preventing me from
> writing a C program that does exactly the same as the "rc" script. Would
> you still put that in /etc?
> And how about if I use gzipped init scripts? I'm sure it would be easy to
> extend bash to support that like less and others support gzip compression
> transparently. Aren't gzipped files binaries?

It wasn't an argument, i'm not here to agrue with you (or anyone else),
i suggest if your looking for a debate or argument about the "right" way
please ask somewhere else, as it's OT here.

I was only stating the facts, nothing more, nothing less, it all depends
on how you interpret them.

If i recall correctly, you were asking _why_ it is done this way, i'll
try and explain again, SuSE is the only distro (that i know off) that
puts there scripts under /sbin.

Every other distro that uses SysVinit scripts are found under /etc or
/etc/rc.d, and unless the FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) has
changed, it is also recommenbed a similar setup.

And Gerard has allready mentioned why (exactly) LFS puts the scripts
under /etc.

It's your system, do what you want... i'm not saying either of them are
the "right" way of doing things, nor am i saying it is the "wrong" way
of doing this, it is only one way of doing things, when you have a
mountain full of options.

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org