2.4.0 and procinfo + mem

Brad Hartin bhartin at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 8 15:18:19 PST 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, David D.W. Downey wrote:

> Also, anyone have any ideas on why an SSH session to a 2.4.0-test6 box using
> reiserfs and openssh-2.1.3 would take FOREVER AND A DAY to log in?

Check your nameservers (/etc/resolv.conf)...if SSH (telnet, ftp, etc. as
well) can't get a reverse DNS lookup for you, they tend to hang for quite
a while...especially if it can't contact the defined DNS's at all...

Why did this come to mind?  I just spent the last 5 minutes waiting for a
login prompt to a box 600 miles away (just installed this week) which got
it's resolv.conf munged =)

Brad Hartin - bhartin at strafco.com
Communications Administrator
Straus Frank Enterprises, Ltd.