boot disk problem - solved

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Fri Dec 8 21:05:07 PST 2000

First off, thanks to Larry G. for getting me going in the right direction.

The distro I am using to build LFS is RedHat 6.2. Due to master(Fujitsu)
and slave(Maxtor) drives not wanting to play nice together lilo does not
seem to be able to install the boot loader properly on the hard drive. Thus
I am forced to use a floppy boot disk until I re-configure the hardware.
What I did was:

boot from Tom's Root Boot        # downloaded from http://www.toms.net/rb/
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt               # mount the partition where the RH6.2
install is
cd /mnt
chroot /mnt sh
mkbootdisk   2.2.14-5.0                          # mkbootdisk is a shell
script that is part of RH

It was that simple. I am not good enough at shell programming to interpret
the mkbootdisk script and distill it down to the basic commands needed to
do it manually yet. I will be studying it on the side since I will need to
create a boot floppy for the LFS system I am building on a different
partition of the same drive.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org