Cross-LFS Issues

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Mon Dec 11 08:45:44 PST 2000

Hi!

As I already warned everybody, I'm trying to cross-build LFS from i586 for
a ppc-g3 :) I already built my cross-compiling environment with a gcc/g++,
glibc-2.1.3 and termcap. It took some time and some more headache, but the
kernel compiles well (and boots), and so does a statically-linked bash. My
question now to anybody who knows enough about shared libaries and dynamic
linking: I can skip the build-static part of the book, can't I? I plan to
use glibc-2.1.3 on my ppc (same as what I'm using on my current intel-lfs
and cross-env.)

init/halt/runleven seem not to work -- have they been dynamically linked
to the glibc (which is not yet present on my system)?

At the moment I have something like a prompt showing

init-2.04# ls
init: ls: command not found                    [of course not]
init-2.04# /bin/bash
bash-2.04# ls
bash: ls: command not found
bash-2.04# /sbin/runlevel
bash: /sbin/runlevel: No such file or directory
bash-2.04# /sbin/<TAB>
halt    killall5    mesg       shutdown    utmpdump
init    last        runlevel   sulogin     wall
bash-2.04# exit
exit
init-2.04# exit
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

My /etc/inittab is the same inittab I have on my running LFS.

What about glibc-2.2? Is it better? Is it worth installing? Is it
recommended?

best regards,
florin.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org