Cross-LFS Issues

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 11 12:50:39 PST 2000

> As I already warned everybody, I'm trying to cross-build LFS from i586 for
> a ppc-g3 :) I already built my cross-compiling environment with a gcc/g++,
> glibc-2.1.3 and termcap. It took some time and some more headache, but the
> kernel compiles well (and boots), and so does a statically-linked bash. My
> question now to anybody who knows enough about shared libaries and dynamic
> linking: I can skip the build-static part of the book, can't I? I plan to
> use glibc-2.1.3 on my ppc (same as what I'm using on my current intel-lfs
> and cross-env.)

keep them static anyways. it will save you a lot of headaches. you don't want
to link dynamically to a glibc that runs on an intel to later on be run on a
ppc with a glibc-ppc build. I am not sure if it should work but I can see
that it causes problems.

> What about glibc-2.2? Is it better? Is it worth installing? Is it
> recommended?

wait a while till more software has had the time to update and glibc has been
fixed. there are quite a few problems with it

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org