smp

Ghovs ghovs at ghovs.moo.ca
Mon Dec 11 13:22:39 PST 2000

Heya

Just to reconfirm it, I've never had any need at all to add special frills to
make linux run on SMP machines.

Ofcourse, you'd be shorthanding yourself a LOT if you didn't use SMP support
in the kernel.

Another thing to keep in mind is that current SMP support doesn't distribute
nonthreaded tasks over all processors.

This means that an application which doesn't have explicit mention of
threading support is unlikely to use more than one processor for each
processor.

What's also fun is that you can let make run multiple processes to compile
software for you.

I believe, however, that some sources have very poor support for it.
I'd be careful with nonmainstream things and things you never compiled with
multiple processes before.

Usually, running `make -j3` (actually, '3' is n-of-procs+1) does the trick
nicely, but some packages require you to jump through hoops or don't support
it at all.

Also, for things like mp3 encoding, or other method of compressing, it can be
advantageous to just split out the file being compressed over several shells.

All this does not mean that doing things the normal way doesn't work.
It just means it'd happen slower, but just as well.

rgds,
Peter de Freitas