modules - additional

J. Jones jdj at darkside.dynup.net
Mon Dec 11 16:30:25 PST 2000

Unresolved symbols in modules..

I've seen one of three things cause this.

1.  Missing/old /boot/System.map file.  cp the /usr/src/linux/System.map
file to /boot.  If it doesn't exist, create it with nm kernel-image
(/usr/src/linux/vmlinuz) > /boot/System.map.

2.  You missed something in your kernel config those modules needed.  Try
this.  modprobe -vd <one of those modules with unresolved symbols>.  That
should tell you which symbol it can't locate.  Once you've got that, nm
<your kernel image> | grep <that missing symbol>.  If the symbol isn't
there, chances are you missed something in the config.

Those symbol names are _usually_ fairly descriptive.. hopefully they'll
hint you towards what is missing.

3.  Old modules left over from an old kernel.  rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname
-r` ; cd /usr/src/linux ; make modules_install

Jeremy