Why boot scripts in /etc

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Tue Dec 12 00:51:38 PST 2000

+-Jeffery McLean-(jeffery at meowpawjects.com)-[12.12.00 04:22]:
> On Sunday 10 December 2000 07:59 pm, you wrote:
> > Redhat has their init scripts in /etc.  Or as far as i can tell they're in
> > /etc
> > and what would be the point of having the init scripts in your path
> > anyways, i see no advantage to that, as long as telinit knows where to get
> > to them at.  That's the only thing that should be in the path (imho)

I really like the way SuSE has it - they included links called rc* which
are in your path and can be called to restart services and such...

But lets get back and see what is standard - the FHS says:
(Note for /etc)
The setup of command scripts invoked at boot time may resemble System V
or BSD models. Further specification in this area may be added to a
future version of this standard.

It does not say anything in /sbin.

I'd say stay with the way we do it  (perhaps a rc.d-subdir) and wait for
a standard-definition...

     Ba-who.forgot.to.add.this.in.his.last.mail-lu

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org