modules - additional

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Tue Dec 12 08:32:40 PST 2000

At 06:23 PM 12/12/00 +1100, / Brett wrote:
>will let the kernel automatically load the modules when needed
>there is _utterly_ no need for your loading of modules at boot
>let me repeat that
>there is _utterly_ no need for your loading of modules at boot
>this is why we have kmod

Point well taken.

The hint about the System.map which I then used to export the symbols from
the kernel solved the depmod problem I was having. That kernel now loads
various modules as needed, smoothly.

However, I think now that it was a dead end vis-a-vis implementing a
Promise Ultra 100 PCI IDE card. The dmesg says that is sees an IDE
controller on the PCI bus but it then does not look for the hard drive. The
maintainer for the IDE portion of the kernel, left a note that he is no
longer backporting to the 2.2.xx kerrnel. 2.2.18 does not seem to support
the chip on this particular card. I have grabbed the latest kernel patch
for the 2.4.0.test12 and am now compiling a fresh LFS with that. Wait and
see . . .

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org