Direcory creation and FHS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 13 13:15:52 PST 2000

On December 12, 2000 06:23 pm, you wrote:
> I've been looking at the directory creation in LFS 2.4.2 and have a few
> questions.
> FHS 2.1 has no /usr/doc /usr/info or /usr/man listed, but as these are
> links to the equivalents in /usr/share I am presuming that they are there
> for backwards compatability.

exactly. most packages still usr /usr/man and /usr/doc and /usr/info

> FHS 2.1 specifies that /usr/tmp should be a link to /var/tmp
> Also why are /usr/etc and /usr/var there? /usr/etc is empty on my RH 6.2
> installation and /usr/var doesn't exist and neither are in the FHS

/usr/etc is used by a few apps like sshd when you install it by running
--prefix=/usr (sure you can change the sysconf dir too) and other packages
dump their config files in it by default. Personally I symlinked /usr/etc to
/etc and the same for /usr/var symlinked to /var

> The same goes for /usr/local
> Last question is what is the difference in use between /usr and
> /usr/local?

/usr/local is supposed to be for software not installed by a distribution's
installation process and/or is local to the system only (shouldn't be used by
remote users).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org