Munging reply-to header (was: Re: [OT] Roggenfloggen...)

Seth W. Klein sklein at mint.net
Wed Dec 13 18:31:32 PST 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> > Except myself and the people behind
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> I am well aware of all the facts stated in that document. I would be an
> ignorant list admin if I didn't read the docs for list admins before starting
> to manage lists.

True, but i rather blew up the last of these threads up trying to get
my point across so i thought i'd just give the URL and be done with it.

> <....>
>
> Sure, I know, I manage the lists so it's not your guys' fault that I'd
> receive those doubles...

As far as i know it is our fault. We should either use a client like
mutt or remember to delete either the personal or list address. But
we won't. *Sigh.*

> ...and I understand that. That's why if it was just me I
> wouldn't be munging the headers. The delete key works very nicely.
>
> <quote>
> Your subscribers don't want you to do it. Or, at least the ones who have
> bothered to read the docs for their mailer don't want you to do it.
> </quote>
>
> If they don't like this, all they need to do is send a message to the list or
> to me personally and ask if it can be disabled because it's inconvenient for
> them.

I guess i'd feel that was whining, but you have my message now :)

> It's arrogant to think that everybody who read the docs automaticaly
> will not like the reply-to munging.

True, but that's a straw man. The arrogant can be right (sometimes) :)

> <....>
>
> So far Seth (if he's still on this list) is the only person out of a few
> hundred on this list who complained about this.

Hey wait a minute! *I* didn't start this. I seconded a complaint by
Michael Renzmann in message <3A2B734D.78E800A3 at compulan.de>

> <....>

Please forgive my heavy snipping, i'd like to avoid spending days on
this subject.

cheers,
sklein
--